Call us today: 937-325-5561

About Us

History

sparks

Morgal was founded by Frank Morgal in 1939 and operated as a tool & die and special fixture manufacturer. Friend and neighbor, John C. McGregor, Sr. purchased the business from Frank in 1965 and continued operations as a tool & die manufacturer. John’s son Dan McGregor joined the growing company in 1968 as the office manager.

In 1974 Dan’s brother Jim McGregor joined Morgal as its production manager. This was the same year that Morgal manufactured its first die designed to stamp a complete sprocket with one stroke of a press. This sprocket was sold to the Toro Company and it was the beginning of a series of major capital investments that enabled Morgal to establish itself as a leader in the market of stamped metal sprockets and related assemblies.

With significant growth in metal stamping at Morgal, the McGregor’s opened a second facility called Ohio Stamping (OSMI) in 1981 to expand into larger parts and higher volume automotive applications.  Grown to be a significant large-part metal stamper in the Midwest, OSMI expanded capability in 2010 with the addition of a 1600 ton, robotic transfer press line.

As customers continued to approach Dan and Jim with new opportunities, they determined that a significant presence in assembly and robotic welding existed.  Rose City Machine opened its doors in 1991 and has focused on moderate to high volume assemblies requiring MIG and spot welding as well as riveting.

Carmichael Machine was added to the McGregor Metalworking Companies in 2003 and provides close tolerance screw machine and CNC machined components to other McGregor companies as well as a significant group of outside customers.  Carmichael is noted for rapid response and allows McGregor to efficiently provide complicated assemblies to its broad customer base.

South Carolina Metal Products (SCMP) was purpose-built in 2005 when Dan and Jim saw the growing opportunities that a Southeast presence could bring.  Focused on the lawn and garden as well as automotive markets, it continues the capacity expansion that has been the hallmark of the McGregor family.

It is quite an impressive and successful entrepreneurial journey from relatively modest beginnings in 1965, to the present corporate structure which provides high-quality products to the market and employment and enhanced skills training for 300 associates.